On May 25th 2018, the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) wiped out marketing lists across Europe, requiring explicit consent to receive marketing emails and adding a strict framework around how data is used and controlled. The regulation is expected to be copied by governments internationally, standardising these data regulations globally.
While the impact has been significant for all affected businesses, brick and mortar SMBs have really taken a hit. Why? Because building a half decent marketing list is much harder.
Email lists for these businesses have typically been built up through years of handing out paper slips, using website forms and promoting loyalty programs.
It’s a kick in the teeth too, considering the value of email marketing for brick and mortars. Here are some statistics that highlight the importance of email marketing across businesses like restaurants, cafes, bars, salons, barbers and retail stores.
- On average, SMBs receive a 7% repurchase rate just from sending a welcome email after a guest first visits.
- On average, businesses receive a £29 return on investment (ROI) for every £1 spent.
- Email is 40 times more effective at new customer acquisition than social media.
- Email marketing drives more conversions than any other channel.
It’s clear that marketing data has real value, it’s an asset that needs to be recovered. How?
Rebuilding your email list with Beambox
From Beambox customer survey data, 87% say that their Beambox guest WiFi network is the primary channel for data acquisition. The majority of the other 13% are businesses such as salons or hotels, where bookings provide a supply of marketing data.
Guest WiFi is an opportunity to provide guests with great WiFi, through a branded login screen that captures powerful marketing data. Beambox WiFi logins don’t just provide an email address, they understand how guests have been interacting with your venue over time and give you the tools to deploy event-driven marketing that rockets ROI.
The average data capture within a 1 month trial of Beambox is 300 guest profiles. That’s more data than most small businesses get in a year of handing out slips and promoting loyalty programs.
It’s also completely GDPR compliant, with secure opt-ins that keep your marketing database up to date in real time. No advanced setup or tech knowledge needed, just a plug and play solution that works out of the box and generates results instantly.