Do you need to know how to change your IP address? You’ve come to the right place. There are loads of reasons why you might want to change your current IP address. You might be setting up a guest WiFi network, improving online privacy on private networks, or bypassing certain restrictions. It is a fantastic barrier against hackers and gives you extra freedom. When you know what to do, it also only takes a few minutes. What’s not to love, right?
There are two types of IP addresses to remember: a public IP address and a private IP address. A public is what your internet service provider gives your network router. A private is what your network router assigns your device. Public IP addresses are traceable and easily found online; private IP addresses are only traceable by devices on your network. You can change or hide either - but it is good to understand the different roles. There are other terms to learn, too, like static IP addresses versus dynamic IP addresses.
Are you intrigued and ready to learn? Here’s everything you need to know to change your IP address, including simple steps and why you should even care.
How To Change Your IP Address on iPhone Devices
First, let’s establish two ways of answering the question ‘how to change your IP address on iPhone devices’. You can physically change the current IP address so you have a different address. Or you can hide your real IP address using a VPN to connect with a proxy server. This way, you can still browse with online privacy, just without the hassle of changing your IP address.
Because there are two different ways to achieve similar results, this means you have two potential methods to follow. Let’s look at using a VPN first since this has less long-term impact:
- Pick a VPN. There are many free and paid VPNs, so this stage isn’t too hard. You can find them online and in app stores, including the Apple app. Once you pick your VPN software, download it, and then set up any necessary login details.
- Select your server. This stage is where you’ll decide which proxy server to connect to - this could be different cities or countries.
- Voila! Once you connect, the VPN will change your virtual location and IP address.
Do you want to change the actual IP address on your iPhone permanently? To do this, you’ll need to get into your settings, as VPN is a temporary change. Once you disconnect your VPN, your IP address will return to normal. To change it permanently, follow these simple steps:
- Open your iPhone settings and navigate your way to the Network section.
- In this section, select your network and click on the IPv4 address. Then click Configure IPv4.
- Here, you’ll have the choice to click manual or auto. Click manual. Then, you can type in your new IP address of choice.
How To Change Your IP Address Without VPN
Are you wondering how to change your IP address without a VPN on any device? It is actually straightforward. People are always looking for online software to help with their WiFi - be it free captive portal software or VPNs.
However, you can actually handle IP address changes purely from your settings. It’s essential to be proactive, and changing your IP address permanently is a great way to build a secure network. So, with that said, how do you do it? Well, these are the general steps that will help you find your IP address settings on any device.
- Find your settings. Every piece of technology or device has a settings page. If you log onto a router, you may have to log in online (check router stickers for login details). If you have a phone or laptop, this is much easier.
- Find your network tab in the settings. This could be in a control panel, admin account section, or simply listed as ‘networks’ or ‘network’.
- From here, select your relevant network. You might spot an IP address, an IPv4 section, or a TCP section.
- Once you find these, click on them and look for a configure option. If you click to configure manually, you’ll get to input a new IP address.
It may require problem-solving. However, with these simple steps, you can change all types of IP addresses. Follow these clues and have a bit of an experiment, and you’ll soon find the answer.
How To Change Your IP Address on Android
As mentioned above, you can change IP addresses on all device types. The only thing is that it might be different in the process. This is definitely the case between Apple and Android, so prepare yourself for a few extra steps. This section will cover how to change your IP address on Android.
- Open your Android settings first. This should open up to give you a long list of sub-menus down the left-hand side of your screen.
- Out of this sub-menu, select the ‘Wireless & Networks’ tab, and once it opens, click on your WiFi network.
- Click on the ‘modify network’ option before selecting the ‘advanced options’.
- It is at this stage that you’ll get the option to configure your IP address. To change the address, input your new IP address and click complete or save changes.
- When you return, you’ll see that your current IP address is the brand-new one you inputted.
Top 5 Things To Know About IP Addresses
Now you know about changing your IP address on Android, iPhone, and more, let’s look at the top things to know. This section is part fun facts and part FAQs. And most importantly, it’s full of tricks to help you navigate IP addresses more effectively.
You must have an in-depth understanding of all types of IP addresses. It is such a massive part of ensuring that you run a secure network. After all, don’t you want to keep your business and customers safe from malicious cyber-attacks?
These are the top 5 things you should know about IP addresses if you want to take your business seriously.
1. IP Addresses Use Binary
Binary is how computers communicate and involves numerical codes - like the ones that make up IP addresses. Computers use all the numbers as part of the binary code to understand and respond accordingly to your IP address. It is all very clever. And you can learn more about how your devices communicate using binary with a quick Google online.
It is actually possible to learn binary code - but it is a very challenging task, using purely 1s and 0s. Let’s just say that you won’t be finding a ‘binary’ addition to Duolingo any time soon.
2. There Are 32 Digits in an IP Address
An IP address has 32 digits in total, split into two parts. The first part of the IP address tells the network ID and the second describes the host ID. This makes it a double message that allows your internet to run smoothly. It connects your router to your internet service provider and your device to your router through these unique 32 digits. Clever, right?
3. IPv4 Allows for 4.3 Billion IP Addresses - So You Won’t Get Yours Mixed Up
If you are wondering how on Earth people don’t mix up IP addresses, here’s why - there are 4.3 billion combinations. There are approximately 8.3 billion people in the world. It’s easy to see how there are enough IP addresses to go around, especially since a proportion is young children. Not everyone on Earth has a mobile phone too; statistically, approximately 6.92 billion people have a mobile device. This means that the whole system is sustainable, and static versus dynamic IP addresses balance out the rest.
4. Hiding IP Addresses With VPNs Has Its Downsides
Hiding IP addresses with VPNs definitely has its downsides - one being that it can really slow down your connection speed. This means you should be okay with potentially sacrificing a bit of connection speed in the name of security. However, your biggest concern should be that some VPNs create a security risk. If you don’t use a reputable VPN, your data could actually be at more risk. Remember, you pass the security baton to a third party here - research reputability beforehand.
Hiding your IP address with a VPN is a great temporary solution. However, you might want to set aside a decent chunk of time to research VPN software first. And don’t be afraid to invest in paid but reliable software if you are unsure. Security shouldn’t be something to compromise on.
5. The Difference Between Static and Dynamic IP Addresses
The significant difference between static and dynamic IP addresses is that static stays the same, and dynamic doesn’t. Static IP addresses are typically only for servers or more permanent and essential equipment than individual mobile devices.
If you want one, you’d have to request it from your internet service provider formally. A dynamic IP address is standard and solves the issue of those 4.3 billion combinations we mentioned earlier. These generate automatically and change regularly and help keep enough combinations for everyone.
Final Thoughts: The Importance of Changing IP Addresses
What is the actual importance of changing IP addresses? Why should you actually care? While we’ve touched on this briefly already, it is worth delving back into more deeply to summarize. If you run a business, network security should be your priority. Changing your IP address is a brilliant way to protect guest WiFi users and your business from cyber-attacks. A public IP address is even more dangerous than a private IP address since it is available for all online.
You might want to consider a VPN proxy server solution or to change your static IP address manually. But whichever you choose, it is an excellent step towards providing a more secure network.
So, where does Beambox come into the world of IP addresses? Well, Beambox is an all-in-one WiFi marketing solution that allows you to take better control of your network. If you are already checking out changing IP addresses, consider taking your WiFi seriously.
With Beambox, you can make providing guest WiFi more beneficial for your business. The whole model of Beambox is helping you set up a captive portal system. In exchange for valuable contact details for marketing, guests can access your WiFi.
Our automatic software then channels these details into a brilliant database. From here, the rest is history. You automate SMS, email, or social media marketing campaigns directly from the database.
Everyone cares about network security, which is excellent because it means businesses and customers stay safer. WiFi marketing with Beambox helps you to take better control of your network security and utilize WiFi more efficiently. Start your Beambox free trial now. Learning how to change your IP address is just the beginning.
Get Started With Free WiFi Marketing
Beambox helps businesses like yours grow with data capture, marketing automation and reputation management.
Sign up for 30 days free