Have you ever wondered why some businesses are so good at getting customers online while others struggle? To answer this question, you need to understand why local SEO is important.
When you optimize your website for local SEO, appearing at the top of search results becomes child’s play. So, are you ready to explore this phenomenal strategy?
This article will help you explore five reasons why local SEO is important. You will also learn how it works and how to create an effective SEO strategy. Let’s begin.
Why Is Local SEO Important? Here Is What You Need To Know
To answer “Why is local SEO important?”, you must first understand how Google works and what SEO is.
Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is the collection of activities and operations that a business put in place to rank on search engines. In other words, SEO is what businesses do when they want their clients to find them online.
Back when the internet started, search engines used different types of algorithms to return meaningful content to users. Among those search engines, Google stood out and today manages most internet traffic.
As Google and its related services grew, SEO expanded to other fields like local SEO. This term refers to the effort that a local business makes to rank for queries related to a geographic area.
As more people use Google and other services to find local businesses, local SEO became a fundamental marketing strategy.
Therefore, the first reason why local SEO is important is that it helps users to find businesses. If you want your clients to find you, then you must look into local SEO.
It is essential to note that Google doesn’t do a live search. It uses spiders to crawl websites saved in the Google Index. Then it looks at a few things like:
- How relevant the website is to the search
- How important is the website
- How many other websites link to it
However, things take a different turn when people search for something in their local area. In this case, Google also considers how close the businesses or services are. It doesn’t matter if the person types the name of a specific city or uses the phrase “near me.”
There are other factors that are relevant when it comes to local SEO. Therefore, if you want to stand out for local searches, you need to work on it.
How Does Local SEO Work?
Now that you know what local SEO is, let’s understand how it works. It’s all about making your business more visible in online searches in your local area. However, when learning why local SEO is important, you must remember that Google considers various factors for it to work. Here’s everything Google takes into account for local SEO to work:
1. Google My Business: This is one of the most critical steps of local SEO. Without this business profile, you won’t be able to add your business to Google Maps and local search results.
2. NAP Consistency: NAP stands for name, address, and phone number. Are these three things the same across all your online platforms? If yes, you’re in Google’s good books for Local SEO.
3. Local Keywords: You must also determine what words people use when searching for products or services in their area. Then include these words naturally in your website content, headings, and descriptions.
4. Online Directories and Citations: Google favors businesses that are in online directories, such as Yelp and Yellow Pages, for local SEO.
5. Online Reviews: Positive customer reviews also play a part in ranking your business in local search results. Reviews are probably the single most relevant factor for ranking. Focus on getting good Google reviews.
6. Local link building: Do other local websites link back to your website? If yes, then Google will see you as credible, and you won’t have trouble ranking locally.
7. Mobile Optimization: Many people neglect this factor, which is essential for ranking. And why wouldn’t it be when everyone is using their mobiles to do local searches? If your website looks good on mobile and loads quickly, you’ve got nothing to worry about!
8. Social Media and Local Content: Engaging with the local community and sharing local content on social media also affects ranking.
Why Local SEO Is Important and Where Do Its Results Appear?
Until now, you’ve learned what local SEO is and how it works. But where do its results appear online? You can find yourself in one of the following places with good local SEO. Remember, appearing in these places is one of the reasons why local SEO is important.
1. Search Engine Results Pages (SERPs): These are organic search results that appear along with other results on search engines. They often have a map, business listings, and correct details.
2. Local Pack: In Google search results, there is a special section called the Local Pack. It shows the top three local businesses related to the search. You can see a map, business hours, ratings, and essential information.
3. Google Business Profile Listings: This listing shows essential details about the business ranking in local SEO. You can find it in the Knowledge Panel or Google Maps.
4. Google Maps: What’s the use of local SEO if your business doesn’t appear on the map? Well, don’t worry because one of the places where local listings appear is Google Maps.
5. Local Directories and Review Sites: Yelp, TripAdvisor, and Foursquare are places where people search for local businesses in their area. Your local SEO effort should also consider these platforms. Moreover, local review sites affect the ranking of your business on Google and other platform.
Why Local SEO Is Important for Small Businesses: 5 Reasons That Will Blow Your Mind
Did you know that 62% of consumers will ignore a business if they can’t find it online? These stats are enough proof of why local SEO is important. But you need to know all the facts to create an effective SEO strategy.
So, in the following sections, we will answer “Why is local SEO important for small businesses?” with five compelling reasons. From increased visibility to building trust and loyalty, local SEO can make or break your revenue. So, let’s dive in.
Why Local SEO Is Important Reason #1: Become a Purple Cow and Kick Out the Competition
Every business wants customers to notice it in a sea of similar companies. Well, that’s the first reason why local SEO is important. It helps you become the purple cow and kick out the competition.
But what is a purple cow? It is something that stands out and is easily noticeable. Every marketing campaigns aims at getting attention for a business. However, local SEO works particularly well.
It makes your business appear as one of the first search results, which is the best marketing for you. When you stand out, people are more likely to visit your business. Why? Because they see it first and trust that it offers what they’re looking for!
Why Local SEO Is Important Reason #2: Local Keywords Are Always in the Spotlight
The popularity of local keywords is the second reason why local SEO is important. People often search for nearby businesses when they need a particular product or service.
Imagine you’re starving and craving a delicious pizza. What would you do? You’d probably search for “pizza near me.” The same goes for your customers. When they want something, they prefer it to be close by.
Moreover, they’ll search using their location, like their city or neighborhood. They don’t want to see pizza places that are hours away or hair salons in a different city. This way, search engines can show them the most relevant results that are near them.
What does this mean for you? You must mention the latest details about your business’s location in your profile. Even better if you get Google reviews that mention the keyword you target.
By focusing on local SEO, you can appear as a relevant independent business. More people will choose you over your competitors because of your convenient location nearby.
Why Local SEO Is Important Reason #3: It Gives You the Green Magic
If you’re in a business, or even if you’re doing a job, the main reason is earning money. Thriving in local search results, you can get more of that green magic. That’s the third reason why local SEO is important.
As mentioned earlier, local SEO helps you stand out from the crowd. People can easily notice your business at the top of the search results. The more people who visit, the more chances you have to make sales.
Local SEO helps businesses reach the right customers at the right time. When someone searches for something specific in their area, they are often ready to purchase. So, there’s a higher chance that customers will choose you and buy from you.
Why Local SEO Is Important Reason #4: It Makes You the Center of Attention
Increased visibility is another reason why local SEO is important. It ensures that people find your business when they search online. While Google is not the only local review site available, it is surely one of the most important.
When searching for a nearby restaurant or store, people focus on the top local results and compare reviews. Research shows that only 8% of people look beyond the results of the local pack. So, you need to be at or near the top.
Moreover, many choose the one with the most reviews or the highest score.
Simply put, if your business appears at the top of local search results, it gets attention. This, in return, increases your chances of attracting customers. Positive reviews and a high review score build trust and make people more likely to choose your business.
So this also means that you must pay attention to gathering positive reviews and managing your online reputation. Exceptional customer service is the best way to do this. Or you could ask customers to leave reviews. But remember to do it politely and not pressure them for positive feedback.
Why Local SEO Is Important Reason #5: Display Your Brand as the Expert
Let’s wrap this list of why local SEO is important with thought leadership and brand awareness. Thought leadership means people see you as an expert in your industry. Here’s how local SEO portrays you as the leader.
Content marketing and building links are key factors for local SEO. Moreover, if you’re creating knowledgeable content about your industry, it means you know what you’re doing. That’s the part local SEO plays in thought leadership.
However, that’s not the only thing local SEO helps with. When you create valuable and relevant content, other local businesses might put links to your website. These are backlinks. They show that other companies trust and think highly of you.
It’s like getting a pat on the back from important people. It makes you seem even more like an expert in what you do.
How to Build an Effective SEO Strategy and Increase Your Visibility
What’s the use of discussing why local SEO is important without learning to build an effective SEO strategy? While performing local SEO isn’t rocket science, you must put time and effort into this. Here’s what you need to do.
- Define your goals. What do you want to achieve with SEO? It could be generating curiosity about your product, getting visitors, or selling more online. Whatever the case, clear goals will help you plan.
- Define your targeted keywords. Determine what words or phrases people use to search for your offerings. But remember, SEO has changed, and it’s about more than just stuffing keywords. You need to know the intent of the searcher. Does he want to learn or buy? Use tools to find less competitive keywords and combine them with the search intent.
- Create engaging SEO content. Make sure to optimize your website for search engines. This means creating helpful and interesting SEO content that people will enjoy. It could be articles, videos, or infographics. However, many people forget about the content after creating it. Don’t be like them. Regularly update your content and keep posting new things.
- Check your website. Is SEO all about keywords? Not at all! You need to make sure your website works well and loads quickly. And don’t forget about those handy devices people always have on them; mobile phones.
- Build your online SEO reputation. Get other websites to link to your website. This is how search engines assess you are a reputable source. Also, list your business in local directories and encourage customers to leave feedback.
Is Local SEO Enough for Your Business’s Reach?
All in all, there are various reasons why local SEO is important. Increased visibility, thought leadership, brand reputation, standing out, and more sales are just a few.
However, local SEO is often a consequence of a great business and a fantastic customer experience. As reviews are one of the most relevant factors for ranking, remember to get as many reviews as possible.
If you want to leverage the power of WiFi marketing to automate your marketing tasks, try out Beambox. With it, you can get more reviews on autopilot and manage your online reputation with just a few clicks. Start your thirty day free trial today!
Get Started With Free WiFi Marketing
Beambox helps businesses like yours grow with data capture, marketing automation and reputation management.
Sign up for 30 days free